I am a California girl at heart who is lucky enough to live in one of the most wonderful, un-California cities in the world, New York. Most days, you'll find me exploring my new home with my amazing husband and our dog, Friday. I love to travel, eat just about anything with peanut butter, meet new friends, shop, read, take pictures, and spoil other peoples' kids and pets rotten. This blog includes my rants and raves about my personal life as well as my adventures in the photography business.

Inspired by fashion, art, and pop culture, I love to capture images using natural light. Although I enjoy taking all kinds of pictures, my style veers towards lifestyle and editorial photography and my favorite subjects are people. I am a photographer purely for the love of it, and I think you'll see that reflected in my work.

Thank you for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment!

Photobucket

Friday, June 18, 2010

Jasmine Star Workshop

A little over three years ago I stumbled across some engagement photos online and gasped - they were breathtaking. In the midst of planning my own wedding, I immediately found myself poring over every single image on the photographer's website. Who was this Jasmine Star person and how could she, a photographer only about a year into running her own business, come seemingly out of nowhere and take such fantastic photos? Unfortunately, she was already booked for our wedding date.

As I started my own photography business, I found myself going back and reading Jasmine's blog (other photographers I've met have also copped to this and affectionately refer to "blog stalking" her). She wrote so honestly and sincerely about the trials of starting out and not knowing if what you're doing is right, and her photos were so crisp and beautiful. I was thrilled when she began offering workshops last year and immediately decided I had to attend one. It wasn't as easy as I'd hoped - Jasmine by now had an enormous following online and her workshops booked up in a matter of hours. At last, I found out I'd made it onto the roster for a workshop, but it was just days after I returned from a trip to Australia. Would I be able to concentrate, or worse, even stay awake for the workshop? No matter; I decided then and there that I might not have this opportunity again.

The Workshop was not your typical photography workshop. Instead of focusing on technique, Jasmine talked about building a unique brand through your photos, your logo, and how you run your business. Although she had a loosely structured presentation, most of the day was a long Q & A session - and Jasmine was totally open and game to answer any questions, personal or professional!

You know how sometimes you read about someone or see them on tv and then are disappointed when you finally meet them? Well that was certainly not the case here! In an industry where there is so much ego and a "fake it 'til you make it" attitude Jasmine is totally real. Before we even attended the workshop, she had individually looked through our blogs and websites and commented on them. She knew each of us already when we arrived and placed out handwritten notes thanking us for participating in the workshop.

Her message was simple: be yourself. It sounds cliche, but very few of the more established pros will tell you this because they have so much ego they think their way is the only way.  As a photographer, it's very easy to get distracted by what other people are doing. More times than once, I've found myself eyeing enviously another photographer's camera and equipment or amazing photos, and felt like I just couldn't compete. Although we did have a photo session and got to watch her in action, Jasmine stressed how you treat people and run your business is probably more important than the quality of your photos, because that is what people will remember most about you.

I've put some photos of Jasmine in action below and very soon I'll post some of the photos from the practice session.

Jasmine, I have no idea if you'll read this but if you do, thank you so much for a fantastic workshop and for reminding us that being an amazing person is more important than being an amazing photographer.



Photobucket


P.S. Please note that I had to include the photo of her feet because I simply adored her rockin' animal print dress and boots.  Girl got style!  That's actually what she wore to shoot the session!  LOVE her.







 










3 comments:

  1. cool pics, very photojournalistic! Jamie, hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are TOO AWESOME! Thanks for coming out and joining us...I can't wait to see your workshop photos! :)

    ReplyDelete