I am a California girl at heart who is lucky enough to live in one of the most wonderful, un-California cities in the world, New York. Most days, you'll find me exploring my new home with my amazing husband and our dog, Friday. I love to travel, eat just about anything with peanut butter, meet new friends, shop, read, take pictures, and spoil other peoples' kids and pets rotten. This blog includes my rants and raves about my personal life as well as my adventures in the photography business.

Inspired by fashion, art, and pop culture, I love to capture images using natural light. Although I enjoy taking all kinds of pictures, my style veers towards lifestyle and editorial photography and my favorite subjects are people. I am a photographer purely for the love of it, and I think you'll see that reflected in my work.

Thank you for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment!

Photobucket

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Into the Wild

Earlier this year, a couple we are friends with posed a great idea: why not get a group of friends from childhood along with their significant others and children together for a camping trip? We're all so busy and spread out now, it would be a chance to catch up and spend time together. A wonderful idea, except if you know me. You see, I do not camp. As in, I do not go places that do not have electrical plugs, working toliets and showers, and non-dirt floors. I consider a quaint cabin at say, the Awahnee in Yosemite camping.

This is not to say that I have not camped before. Oh, I've car-camped. I've backpacked. I've stayed in a tent just outside Tijuana, Mexico and bathed out of a bucket. So when people say, "You don't camp AT ALL?" in disbelief this is not because I have not tried it before. I just don't see the point. A good friend told me that she thinks camping is like pretending to be homeless, and I kind of agree.

To make things even more complicated, Scott and I had no idea when we started planning this we would be negotiating a cross-country move. He had to already be out in Chicago to start work and I, fresh off the plane from Australia, was wrapping up things in California. We ended up flying in from different states and meeting in Denver, both thrown off from jetlag and the haze of being in an airport constantly for the last month.

However, for this dear group of friends and the promise of an actual bathroom with working toliets (so it wasn't totally rustic camping, I guess), I decided to make an exception. Armed with toliet seat covers from the LAX bathrooms and my trusty Eddie Bauer lantern, I set out into the wilderness of Rocky Mountain National Park to reconnect with a fantastic group of people. And I can honestly say I did not regret agreeing to go camping for one minute.

But next year, I vote for a hotel with showers. :)

Enjoy!


Photobucket



Colorado1


Colorado2


Colorado15


The lighting was low, so it came out a little blurry. But this is the very elusive "whistle pig."


Colorado3


Colorado4


You may recognize this lovely couple on the right from an earlier post where I shot their wedding rehearsal and rehearsal dinner.

Colorado16


Colorado5


Colorado6


Colorado7


Colorado8


Colorado9


Colorado10


Colorado13


Colorado11


Colorado18

0 comments:

Post a Comment